The Pisa Polyptych
Tempera on cloth on panel 300 x 2.30 cm
Various reconstructions have been proposed for the large altarpiece Masaccio painted in Pisa, apparently during most of 1426.
The contract was signed by Masaccio and Ser Giuliano di Colino degli Scarsi da San Giusto, on 19 February.
Following this were eight payments between 20 February and 26 December, at which time the picture must have been more or less completed.
Vasari describes it in situ in both his 1550 and 1568 editions, so it was dismembered at some later date.
There are eleven extant panels:
1) The main panel, the Madonna and Child Enthroned, with four angels, now in London's National Gallery. 135 x 73 cm
2) A panel of Christ on the Cross with Saint John, Mary His Mother, and the Magdalene, now in the Capodimonte Museum in Naples. 83 x 63 cm
3-4) Two predella panels by Masaccio: the Adoration of the Magi, which must have been under the central panel; and another, a double scene, of the martyrdoms of Saints Peter and John the Baptist, which was under images of Saints Peter and John the Baptist to the left of the Madonna and Child Enthroned.
These two panels are now in the Staatliche Museen in Berlin. Both 21 x 61 cm
5) Another predella panel, probably from the right-hand side of the picture, with Saint Julian Murdering His Parents, and Saint Nicholas Throwing the Golden Dowry to the Unwed Girls.
This third predella seems to be by an assistant to Masaccio. It is also in the Staatliche Museen in Berlin. 22 x 62 cm.
6) A panel of Saint Paul, now in the Museo Nazionale, Pisa. 51 x 30 cm
7) A panel of Saint Andrew, now in the J. Paul Getty Museum in Malibu, California. 51 x 31 cm
8-11) Four small panels of saints, all now in the Staatliche Museen, Berlin: Saint Augustine, a Carmelite Saint, Saint Jerome, and another Carmelite Saint. Each 38 x 12 cm